8 days after planting! The Baby Pak Choy have grown 3 inches tall and the peppers have started sprouting. I have 30 tray plugs seeded with Cayenne Peppers, 15 plugs seeded with Midnight Dream Black Bell Peppers, and 12 seeded with Albino Bullnose Bell Peppers. The Cayenne and Black Bell seeds are from last year, and I never believed that seeds vitality could diminish over just a year. The Albinos are all sprouting much faster than the other peppers. The Albinos are doing so well I may just have to trim back the weakest of each plug. Or the Albinos might secretly be great seeds. I'm not practiced enough to know for sure one way or the other. I do know that seeing that first pepper sprout shed it's seed cover is incredibly rewarding!
But back to the Baby Pak Choy. I don't know if I'm growing them properly. The catalog said to harvest when they're 2 inches tall, and the picture shows tiny adorable bulby plants. Well they're 3 inches tall and stringy and falling over. I read online that seedlings need cool light, so the seed tray is set up under 4 cool florescent shop lights. I'm starting to doubt that strategy now. Perhaps I should swap out half the bulbs with warm lights? Or maybe it was just a bad idea to grow something so fast growing with slow growing peppers. The Baby Pak Choy may just end up as sprouts in my salad!
About 6 days ago, I planted half a milk carton (one long side was cut off and the carton was laid on its side) with onion seeds. I watered the seeds, then wrapped up the homemade planter in saran wrap. It wasn't until today that I saw tiny white roots sprout from the seeds and dig into the earth. This is the first time I'm growing onions, so I'm excited and nervous. We use a lot of onions, and I'd love to run out to the garden for green onions to add to my "poor man's scampi" that I make. The onions should've been planted back in January, so I'm glad they finally got started.
My family and roommate are already sick of me shrieking with each new seedling development. I'm half tempted to pull a Chicken Little on them and deny them fresh veggies. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment